Exceptions when evaluating policies against SQL 2000, SQL 2005 Instances

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:08 PM

I'm getting evaluation errors on many of the default policies when executing them against SQL 2000 or SQL 2005 instances.  Is this normal?

For example, see the following stack trace when executing the 'Database Auto Close' policy (as a part of the 'Microsoft Best Practices: Performance' Policy Category) against a SQL 2000 instance using EPM:

Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyEvaluationException: Exception encountered while executing policy Database Auto Close. ---> Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.InvalidVersionEnumeratorException: Operation not supported on SQL Server 2000.<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.XmlReadDoc.LoadFile(Assembly a, String strFile)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SqlObject.LoadInitDataFromAssemblyInternal(Assembly assemblyObject, String file, ServerVersion ver, String alias, StringCollection requestedFields, Boolean store)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SqlObject.LoadInitData(String file, ServerVersion ver)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.ObjectCache.LoadElement(ObjectLoadInfo oli, ServerVersion ver, DatabaseEngineType databaseEngineType)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.ObjectCache.GetElement(ObjectLoadInfo oli, ServerVersion ver, DatabaseEngineType databaseEngineType)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Environment.GetObjectInfo(Object ci, RequestObjectInfo req)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Enumerator.GetObjectInfo(Object connectionInfo, RequestObjectInfo requestObjectInfo)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Enumerator.Process(Object connectionInfo, RequestObjectInfo requestObjectInfo)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcInstance.GetSupportedResultTypes(ISfcConnection connection, Urn urn)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcInstance.Initialize()<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcInstance.MarkRootAsConnected()<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyStore.set_SqlStoreConnection(SqlStoreConnection value)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyStore..ctor(SfcConnection connection)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.<CalculateTargets>d__18.MoveNext()<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.CalculateTargets(IEnumerable objectSet, Condition condition, AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, Object[]& conforming, TargetEvaluation[]& violating)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.CalculateTargets(SqlStoreConnection targetConnection, Condition condition, AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, String policyCategory, Object[]& conforming, TargetEvaluation[]& violating)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.Policy.EvaluatePolicyUsingConnections(AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, SfcQueryExpression targetQueryExpression, Int64& historyId, ISfcConnection[] targetConnections)<?char 13?> --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Ray

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2009 at 6:11 PM

This message is typically seen with the Central Management Server has SP1 without CU3 (or greater).  Either uninstall SP1 or install Cumulative Update 3 or later.  Let me know if this does not solve the issue.   Thanks!

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:19 PM

I thought I had applied CU3.  The 'Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Setup Discovery Report ' reports my version is 10.1.2723.0.  I'm downloaded CU4 now to apply.

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Actually I'm going to go ahead and get CU7.

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2009 at 6:25 PM

To verify, are you able to run the evaluation to the instance through management studio? 

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Yes.

If I go to 'Registered Servers', expand my 'Central Management Servers' tree, right click my 'Test' Server Group, click 'Evaluate Policies', click the elipses next to 'Files', choose 'Database Auto Close.xml', click 'Open', 'OK', and then 'Evaluate', yes, it works.  I see the report for all of the databases on my test systems (they all pass that check).

Dec 2, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Apparently I was a little confused about the CUs currently available.  I have applied CU3.  I am currently downloading CU5, which appears to be the latest CU for SQL 2008 SP1.  I'll retest after this has been applied.

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2009 at 9:45 PM
appyray wrote:

Yes.

If I go to 'Registered Servers', expand my 'Central Management Servers' tree, right click my 'Test' Server Group, click 'Evaluate Policies', click the elipses next to 'Files', choose 'Database Auto Close.xml', click 'Open', 'OK', and then 'Evaluate', yes, it works.  I see the report for all of the databases on my test systems (they all pass that check).

I noticed that you tested using the xml poicy file.  The SP1 issue doesn't present when you evaluate using the policy file, only when you use the policy stored on the server.  You should test in SSMS using the policies stored on the server.  Navigate to the server and select the policy to run the test. 

You are correct on the available CUs.  There are different numbers depending on if you are SP1 or RTM.  I know - it is very confusing and frustrating - don't shoot the messenger:-) 

Dec 2, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Disaster.  :)

Here's what I get when I attempt to run the same policy using policy stored on the central management server (vs the xml file):

===================================

Exception encountered while executing policy 'Database Auto Close'.

------------------------------
For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.50.1352.12+((KJ_PreRelease).091030-1758+)&EvtSrc=PolicyEvaluationException&LinkId=20476

Operation not supported on SQL Server 2005. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&LinkId=20476

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.XmlReadDoc.LoadFile(Assembly a, String strFile)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SqlObject.LoadInitDataFromAssemblyInternal(Assembly assemblyObject, String file, ServerVersion ver, String alias, StringCollection requestedFields, Boolean store)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SqlObject.LoadInitData(String file, ServerVersion ver)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.ObjectCache.LoadElement(ObjectLoadInfo oli, ServerVersion ver, DatabaseEngineType databaseEngineType)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.ObjectCache.GetElement(ObjectLoadInfo oli, ServerVersion ver, DatabaseEngineType databaseEngineType)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Environment.GetObjectInfo(Object ci, RequestObjectInfo req)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Enumerator.GetObjectInfo(Object connectionInfo, RequestObjectInfo requestObjectInfo)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Enumerator.Process(Object connectionInfo, RequestObjectInfo requestObjectInfo)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcInstance.GetSupportedResultTypes(ISfcConnection connection, Urn urn)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcInstance.Initialize()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcInstance.MarkRootAsConnected()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyStore.set_SqlStoreConnection(SqlStoreConnection value)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyStore..ctor(SfcConnection connection)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.<CalculateTargets>d__18.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.CalculateTargets(IEnumerable objectSet, Condition condition, AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, Object[]& conforming, TargetEvaluation[]& violating)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.CalculateTargets(SqlStoreConnection targetConnection, Condition condition, AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, String policyCategory, Object[]& conforming, TargetEvaluation[]& violating)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.Policy.EvaluatePolicyUsingConnections(AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, SfcQueryExpression targetQueryExpression, Int64& historyId, ISfcConnection[] targetConnections)

-Ray

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2009 at 11:47 PM

That is certainly the SP1 error.  Perhaps the CU3 did not fully install.  Try reinstalling CU3 or install CU5 and retest.  Hopefully that will solve everything.

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:15 PM

So I've applied SP1 CU5, and my version is now reported by the 'Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Setup Discovery Report ' as 10.1.2746.0.  I still, however, get the following error:

Exception encountered while executing policy 'Database Auto Close'.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.50.1352.12+((KJ_PreRelease).091030-1758+)&EvtSrc=PolicyEvaluationException&LinkId=20476

Operation not supported on SQL Server 2005. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&LinkId=20476

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.XmlReadDoc.LoadFile(Assembly a, String strFile)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SqlObject.LoadInitDataFromAssemblyInternal(Assembly assemblyObject, String file, ServerVersion ver, String alias, StringCollection requestedFields, Boolean store)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SqlObject.LoadInitData(String file, ServerVersion ver)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.ObjectCache.LoadElement(ObjectLoadInfo oli, ServerVersion ver, DatabaseEngineType databaseEngineType)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.ObjectCache.GetElement(ObjectLoadInfo oli, ServerVersion ver, DatabaseEngineType databaseEngineType)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Environment.GetObjectInfo(Object ci, RequestObjectInfo req)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Enumerator.GetObjectInfo(Object connectionInfo, RequestObjectInfo requestObjectInfo)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Enumerator.Process(Object connectionInfo, RequestObjectInfo requestObjectInfo)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcInstance.GetSupportedResultTypes(ISfcConnection connection, Urn urn)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcInstance.Initialize()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcInstance.MarkRootAsConnected()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyStore.set_SqlStoreConnection(SqlStoreConnection value)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyStore..ctor(SfcConnection connection)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.<CalculateTargets>d__18.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.CalculateTargets(IEnumerable objectSet, Condition condition, AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, Object[]& conforming, TargetEvaluation[]& violating)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.CalculateTargets(SqlStoreConnection targetConnection, Condition condition, AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, String policyCategory, Object[]& conforming, TargetEvaluation[]& violating)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.Policy.EvaluatePolicyUsingConnections(AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, SfcQueryExpression targetQueryExpression, Int64& historyId, ISfcConnection[] targetConnections)

Is there a way to ensure the policies/EPM are updated correctly?

-Ray

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2009 at 9:46 PM

So sorry for the late response - I was in customer meetings all day. 

Do other policies fail to evaluate on 2000/2005?  Can you successfully run a policy evaluation on other 2008 instances?  Is this policy the standard Best Practices policy, or have you altered it in any way?

Dec 3, 2009 at 10:26 PM

No worries.

I can't really get any policy to evaluate on 2000/2005.  Things appear to work fine on 2008 for the most part.  I'm using only the standard Best Practices policies, imported from 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Policies\DatabaseEngine\1033' (in fact, I reimported them today after applying CU5 to ensure they were the most up-to-date policies).

-Ray

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Hello Ray.  I sent you a direct email.  Did you recieve it?  It sounds like there is something wrong with the instance/installation.  I would like to take our discussion offline and return to the thread when we resolve the issue.  It is very difficult to troubleshoot through the thread. 

Dec 4, 2009 at 6:49 PM
No, I didn't get it.  you can email me @ rayjohnterrill at gmail dot com.

-Ray

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 10:28 AM, lararubbelke <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hello Ray.  I sent you a direct email.  Did you recieve it?  It sounds like there is something wrong with the instance/installation.  I would like to take our discussion offline and return to the thread when we resolve the issue.  It is very difficult to troubleshoot through the thread. 

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (EPMFramework@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email EPMFramework@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:34 PM

I am having the exact same issue when evaluating the "Last Successful Backup Date" policy on any SQL 2000/2005 server.  I have patched my registration server to SP1 CU3.  Any advice?

Error:

Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyEvaluationException: Exception encountered while executing policy 'Last Successful Backup Date'. ---> Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.InvalidVersionEnumeratorException: Operation not supported on SQL Server 2000.<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.XmlReadDoc.LoadFile(Assembly a, String strFile)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SqlObject.LoadInitDataFromAssemblyInternal(Assembly assemblyObject, String file, ServerVersion ver, String alias, StringCollection requestedFields, Boolean store)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SqlObject.LoadInitData(String file, ServerVersion ver)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.ObjectCache.LoadElement(ObjectLoadInfo oli, ServerVersion ver, DatabaseEngineType databaseEngineType)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.ObjectCache.GetElement(ObjectLoadInfo oli, ServerVersion ver, DatabaseEngineType databaseEngineType)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Environment.GetObjectInfo(Object ci, RequestObjectInfo req)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Enumerator.GetObjectInfo(Object connectionInfo, RequestObjectInfo requestObjectInfo)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Enumerator.Process(Object connectionInfo, RequestObjectInfo requestObjectInfo)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcInstance.GetSupportedResultTypes(ISfcConnection connection, Urn urn)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcInstance.Initialize()<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcInstance.MarkRootAsConnected()<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyStore.set_SqlStoreConnection(SqlStoreConnection value)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyStore..ctor(SfcConnection connection)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.<CalculateTargets>d__18.MoveNext()<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.CalculateTargets(IEnumerable objectSet, Condition condition, AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, Object[]& conforming, TargetEvaluation[]& violating)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.CalculateTargets(SqlStoreConnection targetConnection, Condition condition, AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, String policyCategory, Object[]& conforming, TargetEvaluation[]& violating)<?char 13?> at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.Policy.EvaluatePolicyUsingConnections(AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, SfcQueryExpression targetQueryExpression, Int64& historyId, ISfcConnection[] targetConnections)<?char 13?> --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Thanks in advance.

Coordinator
Feb 14, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Hello bwgriffith, 

I have had some customers experience issues with CU3, and the issues are no longer present in the latest CU6. Try installing SP1 CU6: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977443

Are you able to evaluate the policy against SQL Server 2000 using the Registered Server tab in Management Studio?  Have you made any changes to the Last Successful Backup Date policy? 

Feb 17, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Thank you for your reply.

I followed your advice and installed CU6.  Unfortunately I continue to recieve the error below.  Again thanks for your help.

Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyEvaluationException: Exception encountered while executing policy Last Successful Backup Date.  ---> Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionFailureException: Failed to connect to server . ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user EASTERNBANK\mssqlsvc.<?char 13?>    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)<?char 13?>    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)<?char 13?>    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)<?char 13?>    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionManager.InternalConnect(WindowsIdentity impersonatedIdentity)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionManager.Connect()<?char 13?>    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionManager.Connect()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionManager.get_ServerVersion()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection.get_TrueName()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyStore.Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.ISfcDomainLite.get_DomainInstanceName()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyStore.Key.GetUrnFragment()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcKeyChain.ToString()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcKeyChain.Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.IUrn.get_XPathExpression()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Environment.GetObjectInfo(Object ci, RequestObjectInfo req)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Enumerator.GetObjectInfo(Object connectionInfo, RequestObjectInfo requestObjectInfo)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcInstance.GetSupportedResultTypes(ISfcConnection connection, Urn urn)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcInstance.Initialize()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyStore.set_SqlStoreConnection(SqlStoreConnection value)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyStore..ctor(SfcConnection connection)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.<CalculateTargets>d__18.MoveNext()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.CalculateTargets(IEnumerable objectSet, Condition condition, AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, Object[]& conforming, TargetEvaluation[]& violating)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.CalculateTargets(SqlStoreConnection targetConnection, Condition condition, AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, String policyCategory, Object[]& conforming, TargetEvaluation[]& violating)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.Policy.EvaluatePolicyUsingConnections(AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, SfcQueryExpression targetQueryExpression, Int64& historyId, ISfcConnection[] targetConnections)<?char 13?>    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Feb 17, 2010 at 8:48 PM
I think I'm the one who initially created this issue.  I never got it to work - I eventually abandoned it as non-functional, but I'd love to see it working.  It has the potential to be very useful.

-Ray

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 11:53 AM, bwgriffith <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

I followed your advice and installed CU6.  Unfortunately I continue to recieve the error below.  Again thanks for your help.

Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyEvaluationException: Exception encountered while executing policy Last Successful Backup Date.  ---> Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionFailureException: Failed to connect to server . ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user EASTERNBANK\mssqlsvc.<?char 13?>    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)<?char 13?>    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)<?char 13?>    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)<?char 13?>    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionManager.InternalConnect(WindowsIdentity impersonatedIdentity)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionManager.Connect()<?char 13?>    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionManager.Connect()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionManager.get_ServerVersion()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection.get_TrueName()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyStore.Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.ISfcDomainLite.get_DomainInstanceName()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyStore.Key.GetUrnFragment()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcKeyChain.ToString()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcKeyChain.Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.IUrn.get_XPathExpression()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Environment.GetObjectInfo(Object ci, RequestObjectInfo req)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Enumerator.GetObjectInfo(Object connectionInfo, RequestObjectInfo requestObjectInfo)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcInstance.GetSupportedResultTypes(ISfcConnection connection, Urn urn)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcInstance.Initialize()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyStore.set_SqlStoreConnection(SqlStoreConnection value)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyStore..ctor(SfcConnection connection)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.<CalculateTargets>d__18.MoveNext()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.CalculateTargets(IEnumerable objectSet, Condition condition, AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, Object[]& conforming, TargetEvaluation[]& violating)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.CalculateTargets(SqlStoreConnection targetConnection, Condition condition, AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, String policyCategory, Object[]& conforming, TargetEvaluation[]& violating)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.Policy.EvaluatePolicyUsingConnections(AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, SfcQueryExpression targetQueryExpression, Int64& historyId, ISfcConnection[] targetConnections)<?char 13?>    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (EPMFramework@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email EPMFramework@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Feb 17, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Hello bwgriffith,

If you notice, you now have a completely different error stating that you cannot connect. 

Failed to connect to server . ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user EASTERNBANK\mssqlsvc

This may be caused by a few reasons:

1. Is the target server running?

2. Does the login executing the SQL Server agent job have rights to the server?  If you are using a low-priveleged account to run the SQL Server Agent service (which I recommend), you will want to set up a proxy agent account with the needed rights to the servers.  Allen White has a very nicely written blog on how to set up a proxy account for your special tasks: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/allen_white/archive/2008/05/06/use-a-sql-agent-proxy-for-special-tasks.aspx

3. Do you have multiple domains which are not trusted?  If so, this will require reworking the framework a bit.  Essentially, the framework is wired to use the CMS to provide the list of servers.  If you have multiple domains that are not trusted, you will not be able to use a single CMS to register all of the instances since it require AD authentication.  You can instead create a table with sql logins and passwords (please, encrypt this data!).  You will then update the function that returns the server list to point to your table.  The rest should work. 

Hello appray,  Are you sure that you applied the right CU6 on your SQL Server 2008 Central Management Server?  Check the following link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977443

Coordinator
Feb 27, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Hello bwgriffith,  I have not heard if your issue is resolved.  Were you able to get things working? 

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Hello.

I fixed the permissions issues and verified I had up to CU6 installed.  I am still receiving this error message though on all 2000/2005 machines:

Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyEvaluationException: Exception encountered while executing policy Last Successful Backup Date.  ---> Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.InvalidVersionEnumeratorException: Operation not supported on SQL Server 2000.<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.XmlReadDoc.LoadFile(Assembly a, String strFile)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SqlObject.LoadInitDataFromAssemblyInternal(Assembly assemblyObject, String file, ServerVersion ver, String alias, StringCollection requestedFields, Boolean store)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SqlObject.LoadInitData(String file, ServerVersion ver)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.ObjectCache.LoadElement(ObjectLoadInfo oli, ServerVersion ver, DatabaseEngineType databaseEngineType)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.ObjectCache.GetElement(ObjectLoadInfo oli, ServerVersion ver, DatabaseEngineType databaseEngineType)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Environment.GetObjectInfo(Object ci, RequestObjectInfo req)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Enumerator.GetObjectInfo(Object connectionInfo, RequestObjectInfo requestObjectInfo)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcInstance.GetSupportedResultTypes(ISfcConnection connection, Urn urn)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.SfcInstance.Initialize()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyStore.set_SqlStoreConnection(SqlStoreConnection value)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.PolicyStore..ctor(SfcConnection connection)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.<CalculateTargets>d__18.MoveNext()<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.CalculateTargets(IEnumerable objectSet, Condition condition, AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, Object[]& conforming, TargetEvaluation[]& violating)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.ObjectSet.CalculateTargets(SqlStoreConnection targetConnection, Condition condition, AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, String policyCategory, Object[]& conforming, TargetEvaluation[]& violating)<?char 13?>    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dmf.Policy.EvaluatePolicyUsingConnections(AdHocPolicyEvaluationMode evaluationMode, SfcQueryExpression targetQueryExpression, Int64& historyId, ISfcConnection[] targetConnections)<?char 13?>    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Coordinator
Mar 22, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Hello bwgriffith.  Sorry for the long delay in replying - on vacation in Mexico and trying to enjoy every moment of the Mexican beach and sun before I return to cold MN.  I cannot say what is causing your error, but I wonder if you are trying to evaluate something that is not relevent on 2000/2005.  Do you have any defined targets or defined server restrictions on the policy?  Is the policy evaluating objects that exist on 2000/2005? 

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Thanks for gettting back to me.  I've done a little more research into this and found some oddities.  First, all I am trying to run is the "Last Successful Backup Date" policy which I know works on SQL 2000/2005.  When I run this policy manually through the registered server explorer, it works ONLY if I choose the raw XML policy file as my "Policy Source".  If I choose the policy that is stored on my SQL server, the evaluation fails.  Both policies are identical as I used the raw XML source file as my source when I imported it into my server policy store.

again, I appreciate your help.

Coordinator
Apr 25, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Hello bwgriffith.  I am so sorry for the long delay in responding, but this past few weeks has been a whirlwind of cusotmer engagements and R2 launch activities.  I am just now catching up with my many email. 

The behavior you describe is exactly the symptoms that you would experience with the SP1 version of SQL Server 2008.  Are you sure that you have patched SQL Server (engine and tools)?  Since you are testing the evaluation with SSMS, you need to patch your SSMS as well.  You are certain that you patched the CMS?  All of the other instances can be at any patch level but the CMS must be patched up to SP1 + CU6 or later.

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:43 PM

I am having a similar issue .. I installed SQL 2008 Sp2 and have tried to evaluate policies that were imported from the best practices and they only evaluate when using the XML files not the policies saved to the server (using manual evaluation in SSMS).  When I try to evaluate the auto shrink policy against a sql 2005 instance, I receive an error operation not supported on SQL 2005.. since the CU's referenced in this post are included in sp2 I thought that should cover it.. is this a still a pending issue?

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I installed SP 2 for SQL 2008, and this resolved all of my issues in regards to evaluating policies downstream to SQL 2000 and 2005 instances.