Suggested Update to Documentation

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:45 AM

While the documentation clear states:

"The EPM Framework version 3.0 will support nested server groups defined in the Central Management Server.  Note in Figure 9 that the group “Production” has three nested groups.  When a parent group is used as the parameter –ConfigurationGroup, all instances registered to the parent group and all instances registered to child groups will be included in the evaluation."

It doesn't take into consideration the user wanting to evaluate policies against ONLY a child node.  I struggled with this problem for a few minutes until, after reading about the errors throw by the previous version that didn't support nesting, I noticed it would not be a '\' but a '$' required.

That is, if I have a parent named "Production" and a child named "US", I refer to the ConfigurationGroup as "Production$US"

Thank you Lara for your fantastic work - it's been a massive help!

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Well... maybe I spoke too soon.  The script executes with this value, but it doesn't seem to be focused on the child node as I expected it to.

Help?

Coordinator
Mar 22, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Hello ilkirk.  Interesting... Someone else just recently proposed this issue as well.  In short, if you want to call the US under Production, you pass in US.  This assumes that you do not have US as a child under any other nodes, though.  This was the issue that was presented by another user who stated that they have the same child name under many parent nodes.  Peter DeBetta and I spoke and he quickly spun up a resolution that we will post in the next version.  If you are in dire need of this fix prior to the next release, send me a direct comment and I will see if I can get you the updated code (with all warnings that it has not been thoroughly tested yet but I think it works). 

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:47 AM

The situation you describe - having more than one "US" child node - is exactly my position.  Just FYI - the reason I'm looking to narrow down to a specific node is that I've got a server in my list creating a very, VERY long execution time and I'd like to narrow it down by 'zone'.  If you have any suggestions on how to handle this situation other than narrowing down by child node, I'll take them.  Plus it may work out better to execute on smaller batches in the end anyway.

Thanks again!