EPM_EnterpriseEvaluation_3.0.0.ps1 is not ditigally signed...

Oct 4, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Wondering if anyone can help me firgure out how to get past the error I'm getting when attempting to execute the PS script, EPM_EnterpriseEvaluation_3.0.0.ps1, provided by the EPM Framework installation. 

The error is:

File E:\csapps\EnterprisePolicyMgmt_CodePlex\CodePlex_3.0\1Down Version Evaluation PS\EPM_EnterpriseEvaluation_3.0.0.ps1 cannot be loaded. The file E:\csapps\EnterprisePolicyMgmt_CodePlex\CodePlex_3.0\1Down Version Evaluation PS\EPM_EnterpriseEvaluation_3.0.0.ps1 is not digitally signed. The script will not execute on the system. Please see "get-help about_signing" for more details..
At line:1 char:37
+ .\EPM_EnterpriseEvaluation_3.0.0.ps1  <<<< -ConfigurationGroup "Dev" -PolicyC
ategoryFilter "Configuration" -EvalMode "Check"

The current setting for the ExecutionPolicy on the host is RemoteSigned and the script is being executed locally.  So I have to think that either I'm not the only one receiving this error, I've somehow received an unsigned copy of the script (why it would be signed and then we modify it is beyond me though), or everyone is running under the Unrestricted ExecutionPolicy (really?!).

Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks,

-Patrick

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Try this from Powershell on the SQL 2008 CMS Server.  It sounds like you need to check remote management in PS and set the Trusted Hosts:

1.  Open Powershell

2.  type "enable-psremoting"

3.  type "A" for "yes to all"

4.  type "set-item WSMan:\localhost\client\TrustedHosts *"  [Note: * will enable ANY host to remotely connect to this server via Powershell remoting.  You may want to specifically set the servers for tighter security.  You can also use Group Policy to set "TrustedHosts."  

5.  Restart the WinRM service.

6.  Try running the script again and see if it errors out.

Hope this helps.

Oct 5, 2010 at 3:42 PM
Edited Oct 5, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Thanks for the reply, bsock79!

Not sure that it matters, but I might add here that I'm running all of this locally.  SQL Server 2008 Ent Ed, the CMS, all the policies, the EPM Framework, and the MDW are all run/hosted from/on the same box.  The targets obviously, however, are not.  I am a consultant here and don't really want to get too deep into modifying or asking the client to modify services/configurations and introducing risk, so I'm leery of trying the above steps here.

I did set the ExecutionPolicy temporarily to Unrestricted and the PS script will run (although I get an error in the policy.EvaluationErrorHistory table indicating the policy "category <CategoryName> does not exist"...I found that that goes away if I move the policy to the Default category or create the category on each of the servers to be evaluated...annoying) .  But since the script will run with the ExecutionPolicy set to Unrestricted, I suppose I'm asking now if your proposed steps above would correct the situation if I were to set the ExecutionPolicy back to RemoteSigned or Restricted.

Thanks again!

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:15 PM
Edited Oct 12, 2011 at 3:35 PM

You probably have to Unblock the script file, since it is dowloaded from the Internet.