System.NotSupportedException, The given paths format is not supported

May 18, 2010 at 3:33 PM

We just deployed the EPM framework into our production environment. However there are quite a few policies throwing this error. The server that the CMS and policies are on is running SQL 2008 SP1 CU6. Does anybody have any idea what is causing this and how to fix it?

System.NotSupportedException, The given paths format is not supported.

Coordinator
May 18, 2010 at 9:06 PM

I have not seen others experience this error.  I would suggest that you look at the PowerShell script to make sure that the file path for the results directory is valid and accessible by the script. 

Are you getting this error for all evalulations or just a subset of the instances?  Are there any patterns where you see this occur (ie always happens on 2005, always happens with instances in a certain data center)? 

May 20, 2010 at 6:14 PM

I don't think that it has anything to do with the Powershell script since other policies are working fine. It seems to be specific to certain policies. For example the Database Page Verification policy that comes with SQL Server. Anyways I might try dropping and re-creating the policies.

Coordinator
May 20, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Here are two things to verify:

1. Is the policy valid on all targets?  This policy may fail to evaluate on 2000.  I haven't tested it, but the checksum option was not available until 2005 and that may cause this policy to fail on earlier versions.  I would recommend adding a server restriction on the policy so it only evaluates instances that are 2005 or greater.

2. Does the domain account that is executing the powershell script have the priveleges to evaluate the policy on the targets?  If you are executing in SQL Server Agent, verify that the proxy account that is associated with the job step has the approriate rights to run the evaluations on the target instances.  You may want to also run a test of the powershell script in powershell to see if it works outside of SQL Server agent.  The level of permissions necessary will depend on what is evaluated.  In the example you identified, it may be (I am guessing a bit) at least ALTER ANY DATABASE or VIEW ANY DATABASE permission on the servers.

May 20, 2010 at 7:10 PM

There are 5 policies that generate this error. 4 of the 5 have restrictions on it. For example, the SQL Password Policy has a SQL 2005 and above restriction so I don't think that is it. The account used is an SA on all of our servers. Plus other policies run just fine and they also use this same account. The only thing that I can tell that these policies have in common are that they are in the built-in Microsoft categories. The policies that are in my custom created categories are fine. These 5 policies are the only policies in the Microsoft categories so I'm going to change their category and see what happens.

May 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM

FYI. Changing the policies' category to the ones that I had created fixed the issue. Very strange why keeping them in the out of the box Microsoft categories caused this error.