The Enterprise Policy Management Framework is a reporting solution on the state of the enterprise against a desired state defined in a policy. Extend Policy-Based Management to all SQL Server instances in the enterprise. Centralize and report on the policy
The Enterprise Policy Management Framework (EPM) is a solution to extend SQL Server Policy-Based Management to all versions of SQL Server in an enterprise, including SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005. The EPM Framework will report the state of specified SQL
Server instances against policies that define the defined intent, desired configuration, and deployment standards.
When the Enterprise Policy Management Framework (EPM) is implemented, policies will be evaluated against specified instances of SQL Server through PowerShell. This solution will require at least one instance of SQL Server 2012. The PowerShell script will run
from this instance through a SQL Server Agent job or manually through the PowerShell interface. The PowerShell script will capture the policy evaluation output and insert the output to a SQL Server table. SQL Server Reporting Services reports will deliver
information from the centralized table.
This solution requires the following components are configured in your environment. All SQL Server requirements listed below may be executed from and managed on the same instance:
• SQL Server 2012 instance to store policies
• SQL Server 2012 instance to act as the Central Management Server
• SQL Server 2012 instance to execute the PowerShell script
• SQL Server management database and policy history table to archive policy evaluation results
• SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services to render and deliver policy history reports